Step right up and pick out your salmon! Your joints will thank you for it!
People with moderate joint deterioration due to osteoarthritis (OA) or rheumatoid arthritis (RA) experience less pain when they control the inflammation in their joints and in the body as a whole. Eating oily cold-water fish like wild salmon, or taking fish oil capsules, tamps down the production of that inflammation.
1. Omega-3: A healing fat like no other. Oily cold-water fish such as wild Pacific salmon, sardines and chub mackerel are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids. In one notable study, patients who took daily fish oil capsules (the equivalent of a nightly salmon dinner or lunchtime can of sardines) for 14 weeks reduced joint tenderness and pain by a full 50% compared with those who didn’t take any fish oil. And those benefits lasted for as long as a month after the fish oil was stopped.
2. How does fish oil cool inflammation? A 2009 study from the University of London and Harvard Medical School described how the body converts DHA, an essential omega-3 fatty acid found in fish oils, into a chemical called Resolvin D2. This chemical reduces the inflammation that leads to arthritis and a variety of diseases. It only takes a small amount of Resolvin D2 to create big relief for sore arthritis joints.
The good news for people with RA (an autoimmune disease) is that unlike many anti-inflammatory drugs, Resolvin D2 doesn’t suppress the immune system.
3. Fish are also “brain food”. Omega-3 fatty acids are dubbed “essential” because our bodies can’t produce them on their own and must obtain them from dietary sources. They are highly concentrated in the brain and extremely important for proper memory function and other cognitive abilities. This explains why omega-3s are particularly helpful for people with depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and Alzheimer’s. What’s good for arthritis is good for the mind, and Mother Nature’s best source of omega-3s is fish.
4. Other omega-3-rich foods boost the healing power of fish. Enhance the omega-3s in your diet by eating a combination of arthritis healing foods. Include these in your healing recipes:
5. Buy wild. Whatever you do, don’t eat farmed fish. They have more inflammatory fats and high levels of contaminants that won’t help your arthritis.
Our favorite source of truly wild seafood is Vital Choice. This is a family-owned company dedicated to protecting wild Alaskan salmon and the waters they inhabit.
Check out the results of our canned wild salmon here.
Select the medical condition you’d like to reverse (below) -- then sign up to receive free recipes, natural healing news, and new health-boosting products via email:Your privacy is assured. We will never sell, rent, trade or share your email with any other organization
Featured Healing Products